Thursday, May 16, 2013

Oh the problems with dandruff.....

I don't even want to show pictures lol. My dandruff is not bad but it is getting there. I wanted to know what was causing my scalp to flake like mad. Was it my shampoo? Was it the weather? Was it stress? Bacteria overgrowth? Maybe none or all those things. I did a little digging to find some remedies and here is what I found to be helpful for me in controlling this problem.


-Don't wash your hair everyday
          Why not? Your hair gets oilier because you keep washing your hair and so while your hair is feeling
          oilier your scalp is getting pretty dry. Try to use some deep oil treatments with coconut oil,
          macadamia oil, or castor oil. Some of these oils like coconut oil can maintain a healthy scalp by
          keeping certain bacterial overgrowth.

-Use a clarifying shampoo
         It pays to clarify your hair once in a while. All the hair products and conditioners sits on top of your
         scalp. This build up can be removed with a clarifying shampoo or a toner. You can make one easily
         with recipes online. Some involve vinegars, fruit juices, and essential oils. Test some out and find what
          is best for your hair.

-Don't scratch at your scalp until it is raw
         You have tons of bacteria on your hand and under your fingernails. Scratching and removing dandruff 
         can be grossly addicting but don't do it! You can scratch it raw and through these cuts it can cause 
         scalp inflammation.
 
-Use essential oil rinses
         I basically add a couple drops of the essential oil of my choice into my bath water and either soak my
         hair or rinse it with this water. I would shampoo like usual and rinse water with the added essential oils
         which leaves some oils on my hair for a nice smell and this will sanitize any badies that the shampoo 
         didn't get. Some essential oils that I use is a mixture of peppermint, lavender, bergamot, and lemon oils.
         Do this ever so often can keep dandruff at bay.
 
-Stop fretting with all the hair products and hair torture
          Worrying about your hair can make it worse and smothering your scalp in more products will not only
          be expensive but add to your scalp problems. You need to learn what really is wrong and not try 
          to mask the symptoms. Maybe it could be the lack of water, lack of nutrients, or simply a product
          is not working well with your hair. It is up to you to find out the root cause of your dandruff. Put down
          the hair spray and curling iron and enjoy your unchemicaled hair once in a while. 

If all else fails go seek a professional. If you don't have the cash just try some natural remedies and it can save you a whole lot of trouble! The more natural you can keep your hair the better and this goes for the products you use on your hair. Generally, spending huge amounts of money on shampoos doesn't guarantee magnificient hair. My best advice for beautiful is to all three aspects of the self: the mind, body, and spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment